(Hillsborough, NC) – Here are some highlights from an Aleheads interview with Erik Lars Myers of the upcoming Mystery Brewing. Myers is one of several breweries that have successfully raised funds through Kickstarter.
- In the next couple weeks launching a club for customers called “The Irregulars”- will feature onsite perks like special events, early access to purchase one-off beers, first access to parties, and inclusion in a yearbook. Lifetime members will receive a free specialty beer each year.
- They’re starting a sour program right off the bat- first two batches will be a blond ale headed straight into barrels with Brett.
- They’ve moved into the physical plant. Fermenters are in.
- Today they are going up to watch their new 7 barrel brewhouse get put together, which will be delivered next week. Manufacturer is SMT Food and Beverage, and this is their first commercial brewhouse off the line for this manufacturer. It is a custom design with mash rakes, ability to decoction mash, screens for hop and spice additions, and a bunch of other bells and whistles.
- Planning to have beer in the tanks in two weeks.
- Expecting TTB approval this month, open early 2012.
- After first two test batches that will be soured, they are brewing Six Impossible Things (Chocolate Breakfast Stout) and Queen Anne’s Revenge (Black IPA) for their launch beers.
- To combat shortages for popular hops like Citra, trying out new hops like Aramis and Calypso
- Kegs and growlers, planning to release the sours in large bottles end of 2012. No plans to do 12 ounce packaging, but toying with the idea of selling 7 oz 4 packs. His goal is to “never sell a six pack”